Ask the rabbi Halacha Computers and Internet

Copying music cds 3

365
Question
1. If I own a music CD can I copy it for my own personal use? 2. If I own a music CD can I copy it to give the copy to someone else as a gift? Does it make a difference who the person is? i.e. if it is my father (and kibud av v’aim would apply) or a friend, is there a difference? 3. If I borrow a music CD from someone else, can I copy it? Does it make a difference whether they have not given me permission to copy it (i.e. they haven’t said either way and I didn’t ask) or whether they said I could copy it. If I can copy their cd, can I copy my copy and give it to someone else. 4. What is the status of the many music sharing websites/softwares available in view of the previous questions. Thank you so much for your time and effort. This is a great concern to me, as I don’t want to steal, and this is a difficult issue given the widespread disregard of copyright (secular) laws.
Answer
You are permitted to copy for your personal use a CD that you have already purchased. You are not permitted to copy it to give someone else. You are not permitted to copy a borrowed CD. You are permitted to copy music only from someone authorized by the producer to distribute it.
More on the topic of Computers and Internet