Ask the rabbi Torah and Jewish Thought Basics of Jewish Faith

Emunah

Rabbi Jonathan Blass27 Sivan 5763
370
Question
1) What is the jewish faith based on historical events such as Maamad Har Sinai as stated in the Cuzari or is it only based on a personal relationship with Hashem? 2) If our faith is based on the second example I brought, how can each and every person develope this faith and how does it prove that what we believe in is correct? 3) Is our faith based on something else I did not mention?
Answer
Jewish faith is based both on Maamad Har Sinai and on the faith natural to a Jewish neshama. Even if someone accepted the historical truth of Sinai, he would feel it was irrelevant to him were it not for an existential identification with the truths given at Sinai. The existential need would not be in itself sufficient for faith without the conviction in the absolute truth of the revelation and the Torah that we received.
More on the topic of Basics of Jewish Faith