Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

Charity - changing the receptor

Rabbi Ari ShvatNisan 30, 5772
215
Question
A student came to my class for some classes. At some point I decided it would be worthwhile to give some charity, to help out. I put the money in an envelope, with the name of the student, intending to give it. However the student did not come again to the class. Question: What can I do with the money? Should I try to locate the student through information perhaps and send the money through the mail, if I can? (already passed a few years, and I re-found the envelope). Thank you, Hayim
Answer
Shalom Hayim, Yes, by all means, it's not right to give the money to someone else (unless it's impossible), and you should try to locate the student through information and send the money through the mail, With Love of Israel, Rav Ari Shvat