Ayin hara and Rambam

Rabbi Ari ShvatTevet 28, 5771
716
Question
Shalom Rabbis I remeber reading (and often see it referenced) that Rambam states that ayin hara is not supernatural but a psychological phenomenon. Can you please tell me where he makes this statement, and where other poskim have made similar statements? Kol Tuv
Answer
BH Shalom, You are probably referring to the Rambam in Hil. Shchenim (Laws of Neighbors) ch. 3, 6, where he explains the gmara in Baba Batra 2a-b regarding the damages caused by seeing (Nezek Re’iya), explained by some as “ayin hara”, as harm caused by a lack of privacy, not exactly physiological, but definitely rational. On the other hand, see the Responsa of the Rambam (Lifsia edition, p.12a) where he elaborates and explains that there is another type of damage caused by seeing (Nezek Re’iya), which he calls “eyna bisha”, which could be translated as “evil eye” (Aramaic for ayin hara), and seems like he is referring to the neighbor’s jealousy. With love of Israel, Rav Ari Shvat