Cut down barren fruit tree?

Rabbi Ari ShvatElul 17, 5772
104
Question
We planted a lemon tree a few years ago that has never given any fruit, and it does not look like it is going to ever give any fruit. It’s grown huge and is taking up space in my small garden. Can I cut it down?? Thanks
Answer
I’m sorry it took so long to answer, but there was a problem at the website, and I just received your important question today, and am answering immediately. A fruit tree which doesn’t produce fruit isn’t a fruit tree, and consequently, you can cut it down. There are certain situations where even a fruit tree which causes loss or inconvenience can also be chopped down, but how much more so, in your situation, it’s obviously allowed. With Love of Israel, Rav Ari Shvat