The "everlasting kingdom"

Rabbi Ari ShvatElul 9, 5775
117
Question
Who are these holy ones or holy people mentioned in Daniel 7:17-26? Verse 27 talks of these people being given an everlasting kingdom. So is this talking of the world to come? Or is it the here and now?
Answer
It’s referring to the nation of Israel, the Holy People, who, after the 4 historical super-powers during our exile, will eventually return to being the super-power (in this world), as we were in the time of David and Shlomo. May I just quote the famous author Mark Twain, when asked his opinion about Herzl, Zionism and the ingathering of all of the Jews back to Israel (in 1898/5658), he replied, “I am not the Sultan, and I am not objecting; but if that concentration of the cunningest brains in the world were going to be made in a free country… I think it would be politic to stop it. It will not be well to let the [Jewish] race find out its strength. If the horses knew theirs, we should not ride any more.” The idea is that just like leading individuals, super-powers have a lot of cultural influence on the world, and that’s exactly the role of Israel, to be a moral and idealistic Godly Light for the Nations.