• All the Questions

disposal of mezuzah

Rabbi Yoel Lieberman

Av 15, 5771
Question
I recently bought a home with a mezuzah on the door frame. I am not Jewish and do not need this. I would like to respectfully remove this, but I am not sure what to do with it once I have. Please let me know. Thank you.
Answer
In regard to the removal of the Mezuza, your question is very respectful, thoughtful and considerate. (Your question, only today was brought to my attention.) However, it is difficult for me from afar to assist you. You may remove the Mezuza casing with its inner parchment and place it somewhere where it will be well-kept in your home. My suggestion would be then to check the local phone directory or the web for a local Rabbi who can assist you and take the Mezuza from your possession. You may also speak to an orthodox Jewish neighbor or someone from your place of employment who may assist you. If you send me your area of residence, I can try to locate someone and then pass on the information to you so they may take or have it sent to them properly packaged by mail. In any case, I would very much appreciate to hear from you how the issue was resolved. Respecfully, Rabbi Y. Lieberman