How much to spend on emotional issues?

Rabbi Ari ShvatSivan 1, 5778
68
Question
where does the Maharam Schick say that for a mitzvah you do not have to give more then 5% of your income .also applies to emotional things?
Answer
Firstly, I must clarify that the issue you mention (“Takanat Usha”, Ktuvot 50a) is to spend up to one fifth which is 20% (!) for a positive mitzva, and not as you wrote. Usually when quoting the Maharam Schick it refers to his famous responsa. I found that he deals with the issue there in 3 different places, but I didn’t find what you are looking for in any of them. See his responsa on Orach Chaim 303 and 331 and Even HaEzer 89, and maybe you will find that he was possibly “liberally paraphrased” or maybe misquoted. All the best! Rav Ari Shvat (Chwat)