Kashrut - Blender

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanTammuz 27, 5776
734
Question
My question: I use a Vitamix (a very strong blender) to make smoothies on a daily basis. I’ve had the blender for many years (before I started keeping kosher) and was under the impression that since I’m only putting "cold" items in the blender (frozen fruit, water/almond milk, ice, etc) that it isn’t a problem, from a kashrut perspective. I don’t put any "sharp" items into the blender, like lemon juice. However, I have heard of people buying separate blender containers for milk/pareve drinks. Should I not be using my blender? Thank you so much for your guidance.
Answer
ב"ה Shalom Firstly, thank you for your kind words and you should continue to feel free to ask. Secondly, almond milk, although called milk is not considered dairy in any fashion. Dairy milk is only what comes from a kosher animal. So if you used your blender only with almond milk your blender is absolutely pareve. Thirdly, even if you have used your blender for actual cold dairy milk, there was no cooking in your blender and it highly doubtful that the blade or utensil reaches a temperature which would be considered cooking. Therefore, if you made something diary in the blender, the and then you made something pareve in the blender which you used in a meat meal nothing became non- kosher, since the blender never became dairy. However, my suggestion is, to prevent kosher mishaps is when you can to set aside one set which is completely Pareve and another for dairy. All the best