• All the Questions

Kashrut

Rabbi Yoel Lieberman

Av 1, 5776
Question
Thank you very much for your explanation. As a follow up, if I had used the blender (years ago) to make soup (the blender is so powerful that it can actually heat the soup up if kept on long enough) does that change the situation? To clarify, I had used the blender, it became hot, and now many years later I’m using the blender for cold pareve drinks. Thank you.
Answer
ב"ה Shalom I will now go into more detail which I avoided last time so as not to complicate things. 1. In order for the heat to be considered a heat that cooks, it must reach at least 40 degrees centigrade. (104º F) "Yad soledet Bo= the hand is scalded" (See Shemirat Shabbat Kehilchata) 2. If indeed the blender indeed "cooked" meat or dairy, and within 24 hours after the blender had been cleaned, you made something pareve, then following the Askenazi custom, the pareve food would NOT be permitted to be eaten together with something dairy or meat accordingly.) Acoording to the Sefardi custom it may be eaten).However, it may be eaten later in the same meal with dairy or meat accordingly. Also, the pareve food now blended may be placed in either s meat or dairy dish and does not make it "treif"- not kosher. Nonetheless, to begin with one should not prepare an item in a dairy blender at a heat which cooks to be eaten in a meat meal. (Yoreh De'ah 95: 2) 3. If the pareve food was made in the blender which "cooked" meat or dairy after 24 hours had passed, the pareve food remains absolutely pareve and may be eaten with meat or milk. 4. As I mentioned in my previous answer, I strongly suggest purchasing an additional blender and designating it as pareve only to prevent kosher mix ups. All the best chodesh tov and Shabbat Shalom