Ask the rabbi Family and Society Conversion

Proving jewishness

748
Question
I am of Sephardic origin and I need to prove that my great grandmother was a Jew. I will be travelling back to my mother’s home town in Ghana next month. I need to know what I should bring back to the States as proof of our heritage. Please help me. We are Jews and we are being rejected in our community. What will the rabbis need to be assured that we are who we say we are?
Answer
If you can bring a copy of her marriage ketuba, or a photgraph of her grave stone that might help. Testimony from a local Rabbi or communal leader who knew your grndmother and can testify to her Jewishness is important. Try to ask the beit din what they want. If there is a local Rabbi in Ghana ask him to help you in terms of local records, etc. Good luck!
More on the topic of Conversion