- The Torah World Gateway
Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

Civil Divorce

Rabbi Chaim Tabasky12 Sivan 5764
If a couple is married in Israel through the rabbinate and subsequently moves to the United States and decides to divorce, what is the requirement for getting a civil divorce as well as going to a Beit Din for a get?
Although the halacha does not require a civil divorce to break the bond of Nissuin (marriage), in the United States one will require a civil divorce to remarry legally (this may vary from state to state as some states allow clergy to register marriage and divorce). This would be true for a couple who married in Israel as well. If they attained a kosher Gett in the US and then returned to Israel, with proper documentation that would be sufficient to remarry in Israel.
More on the topic of General Questions

It is not possible to send messages to the Rabbis through replies system.Click here to send your question to rabbi.

את המידע הדפסתי באמצעות אתר