Self Education

Rabbi Jonathan Blass18 Cheshvan 5766
253
Question
Dear Rabbi: I am working in a factory that manufactures hydraulical products for Waste Compactors. My field of responsibility is Finance & Quality Networks. Eventhough I studied International Affairs I do want to continue studying maths. Is there any prohibition that instead of going to the local university I just consult the bibliography on the Uv-web page, buy all the books and study in my disposable time, without being recognized with a Diploma? I work from 8:30 to 19:00 and the University demands social service and previous math studies.
Answer
If you don't misrepresent yourself as someone with a diploma that you don't have and you don't use the time that you are supposed to be working for the company for your private advancement - what problem could there possibly be?