תרומה זכר למחצית השקל - לישיבה הגדולה בעולם! תרמו כעת ועזרו לנו

Levite Tribal Symbols/ Tribal Gems

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanNisan 13, 5775
470
Question
So I have been doing research into the ancient 12 tribes of Israel and keep running into a roadblock with Levi, which I am a part of. It says that the priestly breastplate as well as their flag was embedded with 1 of each gemstone of the tribes. But different sites and places say the translation is different stones/gems. So my question is, what are/were the gems to each tribe?
Answer
ב"ה Shalom In order to end your frustration, I would like to refer you to the wonderful translation of the Torah written by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan zt"l, called "The Living Torah". I've attached the link to the chapter in Shemot which deals with the gems on the Cohen's breastplate. http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=2&CHAPTER=28 What is lacking at this website are the extensive notes, of Rabbi Kaplan which are unsurpassed and a must to be studied. Have a Happy and kosher Pesach