תרומה זכר למחצית השקל - לישיבה הגדולה בעולם! תרמו כעת ועזרו לנו
Ask the rabbi Halacha Kashering Dishes

Coffee Caritiere

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanCheshvan 2, 5773
412
Question
I have been given a used metal and glass coffee cafetiere that has not been used for more than 24 hours. I cleaned it well and took it to the mikva. I do not know if it has been used in a non kosher dishwasher or if it has come into contact with anything non kosher. What is its status? Do I need to kosher it? I accidently used it with hot water and made coffee. I know the coffee is kosher as it had not been used for 24 hours, but do I need to kosher the utensil? Thanks
Answer
There are two issues here: One the doubt if the dishes were used for something not kosher. The second issue to be addressed is if one can kosher glass utensils. In regard to the first issue it is best to kosher the utensils. In regard to the glass issue, pertaining to Pessach, the custom of the Askenazim is to be stringent and to consider glass as if it were earthenware which can't be made kosher. .(הלכות פסח רמ"א, תנ"א: כו) However in regard to making thing kosher for the rest of the year, the more accepted view is to be lenient and to consider glass as if it were metal which can be koshered. (, מהר"ם שיק יור"ד סי' קמ"א. תשובות והנהגות ח"א, תל"ב In short, you should kosher your used coffee set.
More on the topic of Kashering Dishes