Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

Government grants

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanSivan 10, 5770
220
Question
About 15 years ago when I was starting university, I applied for and was given a government sponsored university grant. One of the conditions for receiving the grant was that as a student I didn’t work over a certain number of hours a week. I did not keep this condition and worked over the stipulated hours; nonetheless I still claimed the grant. I would like to make retribution for the money I received. How would you suggest I do that? Thanks so much
Answer
This issue is somewhat complex. The best thing would be to consult a local Dayan, a Rabbinical judge who deals with monetary laws and is familiar with local practices. What should ideally be done it to contact a local governmental authority to see how things can be rectified. If you are not answered you should give according to your ability to a public charity. (חו"מ סימן שס"ו, ב ).