Pareve plastic cutting board used for non-kosher meat?

Rabbi David SperlingTammuz 7, 5780
45
Question
Hello Rabbi, Before I started keeping kosher I had a set of plastic cutting boards, and at least one was used to cut non-kosher chicken. I started keeping kosher gradually and so did not replace all of my kitchen utensils at once, although I did kasher everything to the best of my knowledge. This was approximately 2 years ago, but I am not sure if I replaced my cutting boards and it might be possible that one of the boards that I use now was used to cut non-kosher meat. It was most likely put in boiling water but I am not sure if this would kasher it anyway since it is plastic. It is now a pareve cutting board and has been used to cut sharp foods such as lemon, garlic, onions and hot peppers. If the board was used for meat previously, would any sharp foods cut on it become meaty and non-kosher and go on to make my pots and pans non-kosher? If so, is there any way I can resolve this without having to replace all my dishes or kashering my pans with a blowtorch? Thanks
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. It sounds as though we have many doubts that combine together to create a halachic ruling that permits the use of your copping boards without further worry. Let’s outline them - You write that it is possible that the board was replaced and was therefore always kosher. Even if it was a non kosher board, it was probably boiled, which, even though it is plastic, koshers it according to some opinions. There is an argument in relation to whether sharp foods extract taste from a chopping board. There is an opinion that sharp foods do not extract tastes that are more than 24 hours old. With all these points combined we can confidently rule that you may continue to use your kitchen with no further worry. Blessings.