Ask the rabbi Halacha Various Products

Kosher Birds

Question
Stork, pigeon falcon and owl, can be used for food or not?
Answer
ב"ה Shalom In order to avoid confusion, I will refer to the Hebrew names of the birds, which are written in Parshat Re'eh (14: 11-17) and then use the normally accepted translations into English. Any practical question if one wants to eat a particular bird, a person must meet with a Rabbi and a Shochet. I followed the translation of "The living Torah" by Rav Aryeh Kaplan zt"l. The Stork - Chasidah (Devarim 15:18) is forbidden to be eaten A pigeon- Yonah is a Kosher bird and it is mentioned in the Torah that it is fit for a sacrifice. See Vayikra 5:7, for example. Falcon- Kos (Devarim 15:16), is forbidden to be eaten. The owl – Tachmas (Devarim 15:15) is forbidden to be eaten. ( There are different types of owls, with also different names in Hebrew, but all are forbidden. ) Shabbat Shalom All the best
More on this Topic Various Products

It is not possible to send messages to the Rabbis through replies system. Ask a follow-up question