Unfortunately an error has occurred while attempting to obtain or display data

Ask the rabbi Family and Society Aliya

Visiting Outside of Israel

Rabbi Jonathan Blass21 Shevat 5763
262
Question
Baruch Hashem, a birth is expected in my family after I will have been in Israel for 6 months. My mother is expecting me to come back for that, and I don’t know what to do. I know that this does not fall under the 3 reasons for leaving Israel (business, learning Torah, finding a wife), but is Shlichut Mitzvah a possibility? Some Mitzvah that can be done that can help warrant the trip (especially if there is no Brit Milah to attend)?
Answer
I understand that by now you have made Aliyah and I hope that it is as painless and as rewarding as possible. It is permissible to travel outside of Israel even for the purpose of visiting with a friend (Magen Avraham 531,7; Mishna Berura 531, 1; their opinion that this is considered a “mitzva” is based on R’ma Orach Chayyim 249, 4); it is clearly allowed, therefore, to travel to participate in a family Simcha.
More on the topic of Aliya