Teiglach

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanSivan 30, 5778
65
Question
I recently made Teiglach. Teiglach are a thick dough cookie. 1. They do not contain any water, only eggs and oil. 2. They are not baked, they are boiled. 3. But they are boiled in honey, one of the seven mashkim. 4. They do contain either a tiny bit of vodka or a tiny bit of brandy. The vodka does have a little water in it. The Brandy does not. Do I take Challah? If I eat a large amount, do I make hamotzi? Thank you.
Answer
ב"ה Shalom You question has a few aspects to it, therefore I am happy you gave such accurate information. As far as the mixture itself which will include bee honey and at least a small amount of water, this would make the dough eligible for taking Challa. (שו"ע יו"ד סי' שכ"ט סעי' ט'): However, since on the other hand, the dough is only cooked and not baked the dough is exempt from Challah according to the Shulchan Aruch (שו"ע יו"ד סי' שכ"ט סעי' ג )'. Nevertheless, according to the Shach , if this is a thick batter, Challah should be taken even though it's not baked BUT without a Bracha. If you want to require yourself a Bracha , then you should bake some. Of course, all of the above is under the assumption that you have an amount of dough requiring Challah. As far as a Bracha on the cookies, the Shulchan Aruch writes (או"ח סי' קסח: יג ) that even in a case of thick dough, if the dough was cooked and not baked, you don't make Hamotzi even if it looks like bread, and even if it were something that was obligated to have Challa taken. However, the Shulchan Aruch there, also brings the opinion of Rabbenu Tam who is more stringent,who connects the obligation of Challa to saying Hamotzi, The Rema says that the Minhag is to be lenient and to say only Mezonot to be followed by "Al Hamichya" not Birkat Hamazon. All the best