Who to vote for in upcoming Knesset elections?

Rabbi Ari ShvatAdar I 21, 5779
42
Question
I’m debating who to vote for in the upcoming elections, could you please help me?
Answer
Free-Will is a Godly gift and you must decide for yourself how to vote. Just don’t make the common mistake and remember that elections, especially in a coalition-based government, aren’t to "declare" what is your ideal, but rather which party can implement (!) your priorities and ideology best. When choosing a wife, her hair-covering should match your ideal, but when choosing a political party, that clearly isn’t the most important issue for your MK’s! Similarly, Rav Kook was strongly against Agudat Yisrael’s lack of participation in the national revival of Zionism, and Rav Avraham Shapira and Rav Mordechai Eliahu were livid when Shas enabled the “Oslo” government to strengthen Arafat and give away parts of Eretz Yisrael, even though their individual MK’s may be greater scholars than those in other parties. Accordingly, it also makes no sense to vote for a party which matches your ideology best, but is in danger of not passing the “minimum” (historically, whenever there’s a doubt, they almost never succeed). The Bayit HaYehudi seems to encompass it all in their slogan: “Am Yisrael, Eretz Yisrael and Torat Yisrael” but Ayelet Shaked isn’t even religious, yet maybe that’s why davka she implemented important (religious!) changes as Minister of Justice, which no religious MK or minister has ever succeeded in doing over 70 years. On the other hand her Yamin HaChadash (“New Right”), like the Likud, is unlikely to strengthen Torah observance and yeshivot, for even if they’re in favor, it’s clearly not their priority (not to mention the unfortunate precedent, which may repeat itself, where PM Netanyahu actually opted for Yair Lapid over the religious parties in his coalition). In short, no party is perfect, so the choice is: who do you think will actually and pragmatically “implement” the best, and not only will defend but will even strengthen the Jewish People in the Jewish State, building the entire Torah and entire Land of Israel. Let's also daven that Hashem should help His nation to the max!