Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays Halachot of Purim

Fasting and the Megillah

Rabbi David SperlingAdar 13, 5781
18
Question
Hi, I was wondering if it is mandatory to read the Megillah while still fasting? I know the Megillah can be read all night, but I know many people read it while still fasting, is this mandatory to do? Thank you so much,
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. Ideally one should not eat before hearing the megillah. However, if one is feeling weak because of the fast of Ester (or any other reason), then one may eat a snack before hearing the megillah. A snack is defined as any food or drink, except for bread, or a large amount of “mezzonot”, cakes, cookies etc. One can be lenient in the interpretation of “weak” – and in any case where a person feels a need to eat or drink a snack before the reading, they may do so, rather than suffer. Blessings.
More on the topic of Halachot of Purim