Ask the rabbi Halacha Minhag - Customs and Tradition

Pyjama pants and the three weeks

Question
Shalom, I am B”H about to open a package of 2 pairs of new pyjama pants, I’m grateful for the pants but they really are meant just for sleeping in them. But I am aware we are in the three weeks... I am a Baal Teshuva and come from a mixed Ashkenazi and Sephardi background so I didn’t grow up following one tradition over another. I’ve heard some people don’t make any shehecheyanu over clothing anymore, regardless of the three weeks, other than clothing like a bridal gown or something else extravagant, as clothing is more casual today and thus doesn’t warrant the big blessing of shehecheyanu. Then others still do, but I’m not familiar what they do regarding sleepwear. Since these pants will only be used for sleeping in, do they require a blessing in general and during this time? May I wear them, or not open them until after the three weeks are done? Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate it,
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. The law of reciting Shehecheyanu when buying new clothing is found in the Shulchan Aruch (Orach Haim 223). He writes there that on unimportant items one does not say the blessing. This is because such items do not bring about a great level of happiness. Also, because these types of items are worn out, then replaced with greater speed than an important garment. Based on this, it is clear that one does not recite the blessing over pajama pants. As to wearing them for the first time during the three weeks – because they do not require the Shehecheyanu blessing, they may be worn for the first time, as long as this is done before the 1st of Av. Blessings.
More on the topic of Minhag - Customs and Tradition