Eulogy quotation

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanAdar I 27, 5771
698
Question
I came across a Yiddish obituary with a headline "חבל על דאברין ולא משתכחין". As far as I know, this is an Arameic quotation, and I do not understand Arameic at all. What does it mean? Does it give any clue regarding the deceased person deceased person, eg. who he/she was, how did he/she die (like, for example "kadosh" suggests a martyr) etc.?
Answer
The quotation חבל על דאבדין ולא משתכחין is indeed in Aramaic. It is from the Talmud in Tractate Sanhedrin on page 111a. Its translation is: "It is a pity for those who are gone and no longer to be found!" Basically the expression laments the great loss of the deceased person who is irreplaceable. It does not refer to a martyr in particular but to any person who is a great loss. May you hear good tidings.