• Torah and Jewish Thought
  • Torah Teachings

"Lights on Orot"

Rabbi David Samson

4 Kislev 5763
Question
Recently, I have been reading "Lights on Orot" and I have many questions but will limit myself to just one. You stated that according to Rav Kook, a person can only have a direct connection to his real "Israeli" self in Eretz Yisrael because only there is the atmosphere pure and free of contaninating factors (spiritual). How is it, then, that there are great Torah Scholars in Eretz Yisrael, who seem less than enthusiastic about the establishment of the State of Israel. If they are studying Torah in Israel where their understanding ought to be free of contaminating factors, then why don’t they see the "stage by stage, step by step" process of Geulah unfolding before their eyes? RAbbis such as Rav Schach ZT"L, and the great Rabbis who opposed Rav Kook, come to mind.
Answer
The atmosphere of Israel is not a magic wand and does not immediatly change a persons outlook on the world. The effects that the Land of Israel has upon an individual spiritually are indeed immediate however every Jew internalizes this effect differently. The process of the Land purifiying thoughts transcends generations.