Sivan 20, 5775

Butter placed in meat frying pan on stove

Rabbi David Sperling

Question:
My Mother in law thought that the pan left on my stove was dairy and went to make breakfast for my kids. I walked into the kitchen and saw a slab of butter melting in my meat frying pan on the hot stove. Is there a way to re-kasher my meat frying pan?
Thank you very much for your time in answering my question.

Answer:
Shalom,
Thank you for your question. Generally to kosher a frying pan one uses the koshering process known as "libun kal". To do this you need to clean the pan and then heat it until it can singe a piece of tissue touched to it – this is relatively easy and can be done on the stove top. Make sure that you move the frying pan around so that even the edges reach this level of heat.
If the pan is coated with Teflon then there are concerns as to whether using libun kal will work. This will depend on whether you generally use the pan with oil or not, and also if it had been used for meat within 24 hours of the butter incident. Please feel free to get back to me if this is the case here.
Blessings.

One personal question has been asked following this question.