Kislev 25, 5775

meaty/milky

Rabbi David Sperling

Question:
By mistake a milchig plate was used to microwave some chicken and potatoes. Meaty cutlery was used.
Please advise what needs to be done about the plate and cutlery, which we have not washed up as yet

Answer:
Shalom,
Thank you for your question. If the milk plate had not been used for hot milk in the preceding 24 hours, then the food is kosher, as well as the microwave and the meat cutlery. The plate needs koshering. If it is from glass it is enough to wash it up (use only lukewarm water – not hot water). If it is china, plastic or another material, then please get back to me for more details.
If the milk plate had been used for hot milk in the preceding 24 hours, then there is a serious kashrut question, that depends on a halachic debate as to the laws of microwaves. If this is your situation, again, please get back to me for more details.
Blessings.

The question "meaty/milky" was asked following this question.