Elul 18, 5772

Orthodox alliances with Sworn Enemies

Rabbi Ari Shvat

Question:
The other day I saw a video clip of a group of orthox Jews having a meeting with the Iranian dictator. They even gave a present, a silver trophy and underneath it was inscribed with a statement , I am parafrazing, that read thank you for your sweet friendship. we wish to continue our strong relationship.. I have been told the reason they do this is because they are against zionism. Even if this is true, I find this to be very disturbing. Every one has a right to their own beliefs but this is pathological. What do you belive to be the reason for this behavior.

Answer:
Shalom,
I am not a psychologist so I cant tell you exactly the reason for their behavior, but it clearly contradicts the rabbinical sources. Rav Yosef Eliahu Henkin, who wasnt a Zionist, yet said that those ultra-orthodox who side with the enemies of the State of Israel should be treated as traitors (Tshuvot Ibra, II, 109). Rav Y.D. Soloveichik explicitly applied to them the words of the Rambam (Tshuva 3, 11) that even if someone is Torah-observant, but he doesnt affiliate himself with the nation of Israel, and doesnt help out when we are in danger or trouble, than he has no share in the world to come. Apparently even in the past, there were Jews who incorrectly saw Judaism just as a religion, while ignoring the national aspect which is clearly seen all through the Tanach (Bible). Additionally, throughout the generations, even in Germany, there were Jews who thought that by embracing the enemy, they will save their own hide, yet they were always disproven. The enemies of Israel wish to eradicate the name of Israel (Tehilim 83, 5), whether religious or not, right-wing or left, zionist or not, so we may as well listen to them and consider ourselves one, and act accordingly!
With Love of Israel,
Rav Ari Shvat