Cheshvan 1, 5772

Brit Milah

Rabbi Yoel Lieberman

Question:
BSD

Rabbi, please explain. I believe one should do a brit milah in the mornings and would like to know if there is a need to have morning prayers beforehand. Also, I would like to know if it can be done any time in the day should the morning not be convenient?. Also would like to know what is the best. Some Mohalim say they do it with clamps and some say they do metzitzah and others say they do through a tube. I believe the original is metzitzah and am not familiar with the clamp bit. Would clamp be kosher or is that not the best?

Answer:
You have asked many questions and I will try to answer each one briefly.

The custom is to do the Brit Mila after the morning prayers. The best time to the Brit Mila is immediately after the Shacharit this way we are fulfilling the requirement of "zerizut" which means to do the Mitzvah as soon as the opportunity arises. However, it is allowed to delay the Brit to a bit later in the day so that the brit be done happily and not to cause any family strife. (Rav Mordechai Eliyahu zt"l)

The accepted practice is to use the protective shield which is used to gather the foreskin before being removed by the knife. The Chief Rabbinate of Israel as well Rabbinic organizations in the U.S. forbade the use of the clamp. (" ' )
As far as the use of a tube there are different practices. Rav Ariel in the Hebrew counterpart of this site writes that there are G-d fearing Mohalim who use the tube and not direct Metziza with the consent of great Poskim.