27 Cheshvan 5765

Wearing of a Tie

Rabbi Elchanan Lewis

Question:
Is there anywhere in the Torah or Mishnah that talks about the wearing of a tie?
I’m interested only in that particular garment. Anywhere it / they explicitly mention the requirement or prohibition of wearing that garment?
If so, are there any rules relating to it?

Answer:
The tie does not appear in any of the early sources as it did not exist as a garment in the olden days.
Since the tie appeared as a garment the Poskim deal with a few issues that have to do with the tie,

For instance –

Can you tie it on Shabbat since tying is a torah prohibition? (Yes, under some conditions)

Can you wear it out of the boundaries of Shabbat or in a public domain since it does not appear to be a garment? (Yes, Igrot Moshe OC 3; 46)

The Poskim deal with the mitzvah of Keriah – tearing the clothes of a mourner; can you fulfill this requirement with tearing the tie? (No, Sridey Esh B 96)

Is wearing a black tie for a funeral prohibited as a non Jewish practice? (No - but better not to, Yabiah Omer 3 YD; 25)