16 Cheshvan 5763

Neder to Keep kosher

Rabbi Jonathan Blass

Question:
Dear Rabbi,
My nephew had to have an operation and I made a neder that if the operation will be sucsessful I shall eat only kosher meals. Thank G-d the operation was sucsessful and my nephew is well and healthy. This was six years ago and I would like you please to tell me how I can give up this neder?

Answer:
You are obligated by the Torah to limit yourself to only kosher food regardless of the neder. If the neder continues to motivate you to keep kosher, it is serving a useful purpose (if it is no longer necessary because you would keep kosher even without it and you are concerned that perhaps unintentionally you might eat something not kosher- you must speak to a local rabbinical authority).
May you, your nephew and your entire family be blessed with good health and may you have the merit of many mitzvot- including kashrut- to sustain you!