Ask the rabbi Halacha Torah Reading

Kaddish after Torah reading

Various Rabbis7 Elul 5763
514
Question
Let’s say there is a person who came after the Torah reading has started - I maintain that such person can not be asked to say half-Kaddish after Torah reading. I also read a more strict opinion that a person who did not say Smoneh Esreh can not be called to read half-Kaddish after Torah reading. The same Rabbi maintains that if a mourner is present than it is customary to call a mourner to read half-Kaddish after Torah reading if he said Shmoneh Esreh or at least was present during the whole Torah reading.
Answer
Only a person who has heard even a bit of the Kriya can recite the Kaddish prayer that follows the reading. The one who says the Kaddish need not have said Shmone esreh. Kol Tuv Rabbi Ro'I Margalit
More on the topic of Torah Reading