Ask the rabbi Shabbat and Holidays General Questions

Actual crossing of the date-line while on a ship

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanIyyar 11, 5778
102
Question
Thank you for your reply, but my reference was not to those residing in Kobe during Yom Kuppur. I was referring to the group of Talmudic students who were at sea. Their ship was in motion, crossing the Pacific Ocean, when they were fasting for the day of Yom Kippur and approaching the international date-line. Just having passed that point of the world, Yom Kippur was, as we may say, "In the air" again. I remember being told by one of those passengers (Rabbi Nizhnik of Montreal), who was on that voyage, They were advised to fast for TWO consecutive days, but with a short break between them for a quick meal. I just wish to know if my memory is correct. Thank you Shmuel
Answer
ב"ה Shalom I stand corrected, but sadly I'm unfamiliar with this incident. I'm sorry I can't help you more. All the best