Ask the rabbi Halacha Idols and Idolatry

Article Yoga : Can it be Kosher ?

Rabbi David SperlingIyyar 9, 5778
182
Question
Shalom ! Here an article from the Rav Ginsburgh about the "Kosher Yoga", joining your explanations on the issue. Best Regards, Bsorot Tovot! http://www.inner.org/block/yoga-can-it-be-kosher-rav-ginsburgh-addresses-the-question
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your correspondence. The link you sent to the article from the teachings of Rav Ginsburgh is wonderful – thank you so much for sending it. On a strictly halachic level I believe there is still room to discuss whether the names used for the movements – such as “cow” and “cat” - are strictly forbidden (as Rav Ginsburgh writes) or after they have been removed from their source as a form of worship they become permitted – as I wrote about the days of the week. None the less, reading the article would probably be beneficial for any Jew involved in yoga, as it clarifies Jewish principles that are true no matter how one rules on a halachic level. Again – thank you, Blessings.
More on the topic of Idols and Idolatry