Reciting Ma tovu ohalecha Yaakov

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanElul 18, 5776
351
Question
Dear Rabbi, On entering shul one should recite the pasuk,. “Ma tovu ohalecha Yaakov Mishk’notecha Yisraeil”. I was wondering when this should be said? For example if one is davening in the beis medrash, should it be said when entering the main shul building or the beis medrash?
Answer
ב"ה Shalom, To make the answer simple, following the Mishna Brura (in his introduction to Siman 46) and the Aruch Hashulchan 46:15, and many popular siddurim such as Artscroll, Koren, Rinat Yisrael and others , upon entering the Bet Knesset you should recite "Ma Tovu.." The “Ma tovu.." should be said upon entering the hall where you plan to daven , in your case the Bet Midrash, not upon entering the building which contains the Shul. For further reference , I suggest you look at the book, Piskei Teshuvot on the Shulchan Aruch 46. Since there are those who refrain from saying the pasuk "ma Tovu" and only start from the words "Vani Brov Chasdecha…".Furthermore, some are of the opinion that you say "Vani Brov Chasdecha…" outside before entering the Shul and a different pasuk is said after entry. All the best Shanna Tova