Ask the rabbi Family and Society Modesty in Dress

Women wearing men’s clothing

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanCheshvan 12, 5776
474
Question
Dear Rabbi, I purchased a warm robe from a men’s clothing store for the winter. It is very well made. I am having my seamstress shorten the sleeves and hem. I just read that it is a commandment for women not to wear men’s clothing. Should I donate this robe to charity instead of wearing it myself? I am studying for conversion and want to do the right thing. Thank you for your help. All the best, Sabra
Answer
ב"ה Shalom The prohibition of a woman wearing men's clothing is primarily when the clothing is considered to be meant for men only. However, there are items of clothing which are not distinctively men's or women's and the prohibition doesn’t apply in this case. If I understood the description of the robe in discussion it seems to be such a case. In addition, since you made alterations to make it more suitable for a woman, it is no longer men's clothing.So you can keep the robe and wear it. All the best
More on the topic of Modesty in Dress