Ask the rabbi Family and Society The Kotel and Temple Mount

Shechina at the Western Wall

Rabbi Jonathan Blass28 Iyyar 5763
930
Question
Please forgive my ignorance. I know the Torah teaches the Divine Presence never left the Western Wall. How do you explain that teaching in light of Ezekiel 43 which seems to indicate the glory of G-d will not return until the Temple is rebuilt?
Answer
The glory of G-d is not a physical entity that takes up space either here or there. “His glory fills the world” (from the prayerbook). It accompanies Israel into Exile (Megilah 29a) and returns with them. From the time of Solomon it has never left the Western Wall (see Rambam Beit HaBechira 6 16). Ezekiel describes the return of the Shekhina that accompanied Israel into Exile as it is restored to the rebuilt Beit HaMikdash. May our eyes be witness!
More on the topic of The Kotel and Temple Mount