Ask the rabbi Family and Society Modesty in Dress

tzniut for females

Rabbi David SperlingSivan 16, 5775
681
Question
I know that there are rabbanim out there that say that women can show the elbow. I am trying to find out the names of such rabbanim. Also rabbanim that say sandals with no socks is fine and that a tefach showing from the hair is fine. Which rabbanim say that this is fine?
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your questions. The issues of modesty in dress for women are, like every area of halacha, involved and (at a certain point) open to different Rabbinic interpretation. May I suggest a wonderful book (in English) by my esteemed Rabbi and Teacher, HaRav Y.H. Henkin shlitah entitled "Understanding Tzinut" (published by Urim). In it you will find a very learned and clear explanation of the opinions who allow revealing up to a "tefach" (hands worth) of the arm above the elbow, as well as the question of socks, and hair covering. May you be blessed with every success in your Torah learning.
More on the topic of Modesty in Dress
Ask a follow-up question

It is not possible to send messages to the Rabbis through replies system.