Food on top of the stove

Rabbi David SperlingShevat 22, 5775
386
Question
I was making a dairy omelette with vegetables in a dairy pan on the stove. When I was flipping it over, a little piece of tomato fell onto the stove top. Without thinking, I threw it back into the pan. We use the same stove for meat and milk. I realized after I threw in the piece of tomato (which was hot and the omelette in the pan was still hot since it was still cooking), that I did something wrong. Could that omelette still be eaten? What happens with the frying pan and the spatula that I used? Thank you very much!
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. You are correct in thinking that food that falls on the stove top which is used for both milk and meat should not be eaten. However, after the fact, in your case, everything is still kosher. This is because of several factors. Mainly because for the piece of food to have absorbed meat taste from the stove top, a piece of hot meat would have had to fall exactly at the same place within the last 24 hours (which is very unlikely). So, bottom line, your omelet and all utensils are still kosher. Blessings.