Ask the rabbi Family and Society General Questions

regarding yoga

Rabbi Yoel LiebermanShevat 19, 5775
530
Question
Dear Rabbi, please excuse me for this email, and I’m certainly no expert concerning yoga, but I found this on the internet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7RYzjxwKoM (called "What’s Wrong with Yoga? ") I myself am not familiar with yoga Thank you in advance.
Answer
ב"ה Shalom Thank you for bringing this aspect to my attention so that I may clarify. The question I answered was in regard to the physical exercise of yoga ONLY. Yoga as exercise takes places in many gyms and even in kindergartens for children. Yoga as physical exercise is fine as long as the spiritual aspects are left out. The spiritual aspect of yoga is from sources which are considered Avoda Zara and therefore should be excluded.