• Family and Society
  • Conversion

inheritance of a convert

Rabbi David Sperling

Tevet 10, 5775
Question
When the Moschiach comes, what tribe will the convert be a part of? Will the convert have an inheritance? What about the children? If the convert’s father is Jewish, does that change anything?
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. Yes, a convert certainly will have an inheritance in the land of Israel in the time of the Messiah. In fact, this is explicit in words of the Prophet Yechezkel. As it says in the book of Yechezkel (Ezekiel) chapter 47 – "13 Thus saith the Lord GOD: 'This shall be the border, whereby ye shall divide the land for inheritance according to the twelve tribes of Israel, Joseph receiving two portions. 14 And ye shall inherit it, one as well as another, concerning which I lifted up My hand to give it unto your fathers; and this land shall fall unto you for inheritance. ... 21 So shall ye divide this land unto you according to the tribes of Israel. 22 And it shall come to pass, that ye shall divide it by lot for an inheritance unto you and to the strangers that sojourn among you, who shall beget children among you; and they shall be unto you as the home-born among the children of Israel; they shall have inheritance with you among the tribes of Israel. 23 And it shall come to pass, that in what tribe the stranger sojourneth, there shall ye give him his inheritance, saith the Lord G-D. " The English translation of "the stranger" refers to the Hebrew word "ger" and means a convert. The commentators explain that the Prophet means is that the convert will inherit together with whatever tribe he converted and lived with. So, in answer to your questions – The convert will be part of the same tribe the Jewish community he or she is a part of now turns out to be. The convert will inherit part of the Land of Israel together with their tribe. Their children are also considered as part of the same tribe. I do not believe it will make a difference if their father was Jewish. Blessings.