Response Cloning Humans

Rabbi David SperlingIyyar 22, 5774
179
Question
If I am not mistaken the first clone was Chava, from Adam’s rib. The big question is, how do we define the clone? Is it himself, brother, child etc? Is the clone defined as a human? As a Jew? As a Cohen? How do we define the possablity of inharitance? There is a multitude of questions that need to be answered far beyond the technology. The technology will come and improve to the point that even you will find it acceptable. But how do we define the cloned being, That is the major question of debate.
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your interesting input about cloning and Jewish law. You are, of course, absolutely correct that the halacha will need to address all the many and varied issues that will arise if (when?) cloning becomes more advanced and widespread. I have no doubt about our ability to address these issues, as we have with every advance and change in history, such as electricity, donor sperm and ova, international travel and communications, and on and on. May we merit to add our part, however small, to the ongoing growth of Torah in the world. Blessings.