• Family and Society
  • Year of Mourning for Parents

1st year Yartzeit in a leap year.

Rabbi David Sperling

Nisan 10, 5774
Question
Dear Rabbi, My father passed on the 30th of Sivan last year. This year is a leap year and I’m told the the mourning period ends after 12 hebrew months , which is the 29 of Iyar. I would like to know when am I supposed to have the year end Arayat. And do I do anything on the acual date of passing this year. I am Sephardic if that is needed for my answer. Thank you in advance.
Answer
Thank you for your question. May your efforts for the memory of your late father be a blessing. All forms of mourning end after twelve months have past, even in a leap year (Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh Dayah 391,2). On the date of your father's death (the 30th of Sivan) you will mark the day, which is the yarzeit. On the yarzeit one says kaddish, and some people fast. Some have the custom to visit the grave, and some communities have a memorial learning and pray service – you should try to follow the customs of your family and community. Blessings.