Ask the rabbi Halacha G-d's Name and Gnizza

additional uses for a sephardi sefer torah case

Question
Recently a friend of mine came over to my apt in a fairly haredi neighborhood in Eretz Yisrael. He brought with him a wooden Sephardi Sefer Torah case. My friend obtained it from a local shul who had received a new case and no longer required the old item. My question is le’miasah what, if any, other purposes does this case have? Could I store a Tallis and Tefilin in it, as they are also objects of Kadosh? What additional Halacha are important to note if I continue to posses this object? Thanks
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your interesting question. The Shulchan Aruch (Orach Haim 154,3) rules that the case that the Sefer Torah sits in has a level of holiness, and as such it needs to be put in "geniza" (that is a respectable burying of holy objects). Because the level of holiness of a Sefer Torah is very high, the case also has a high level of holiness, therefore you cannot now lower it to use it for a lower level of holiness, such as Tallit and Tefilin. So, in answer to your question – you can either use the old Sefer Torah cover for another Torah, or you should put it in the geniza. Blessings.
More on the topic of G-d's Name and Gnizza