Ask the rabbi Halacha Separate Dishes

Milk utensil used with chicken

Rabbi David SperlingAdar II 1, 5774
621
Question
I accidentally reached for the wrong drawer and used a milk fork while frying chicken. Is the fork treif? Can I kasher it? Thanks!
Answer
Shalom, Thank you for your question. The law regarding chicken and milk is the same as that of meat and milk in general. So that means your milk fork which you used with your chicken is now no longer kosher. It is not so hard to kosher though. After you have cleaned it (I advise cleaning in cold water so as to make sure you don’t spread the trief from the fork onwards), and also left it for more than 24 hours since using it with the chicken, you can boil it up to kosher it. Put any pot of water on the stove and bring it to a hard boil. It does not matter if you use a milk or meat pot. Then put the fork into the boiling water. After the water reaches a hard boil again you can remover the fork and run it under cold water. After this the fork is again kosher, and parve. Blessings.
More on the topic of Separate Dishes
Ask a follow-up question

It is not possible to send messages to the Rabbis through replies system.