• Shabbat and Holidays
  • Chametz and Pesach Products

Kosher Fish for Passover

Rabbi Yoel Lieberman

Nisan 10, 5773
Question
Hi, I live abroad and was wondering if I can buy fresh fish from a big non-Jewish, non-kosher chain (Sainsbury’s) for passover. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, Pnina
Answer
When buying fresh fish from a non-kosher store there are things you must be aware of year round and not just on Passover. Assuming all the fish is fresh and cold, the storekeeper may have possibly cut you kosher filet after just having cut a non- kosher fish. Therefore, upon bringing the fish home you must thoroughly rub and rinse your fish. (See : Shach Yoreh Deah 96.16; Aruch HaShulchan Yoreh Deah 96.21) You must verify that no ingredients have been added which may pose Passover problems. As much as the fresh looks fresh, in today's food production sometimes food coloring is added or some ingredient to preserve freshness or retain water. Since these practices may change from place to place, your local Rabbi or Kosher agencies, such as the London Bed Din, should be consulted who are up to date on these issues. Have a happy and Kosher Passover.