Ask the rabbi Torah and Jewish Thought General Questions

Torah for Gentiles

Rabbi Ari ShvatShevat 27, 5773
328
Question
Shalom, My question is about Torah for Gentiles. I know that in Zechariah 8:23 it says that Gentiles will cling to the hem of a Jew so they can learn about G-d, but is there a specific Mitzvah to teach Torah to Gentiles? What does it mean to be a light to the Gentiles in Isaiah 49? Does this mean teaching them Torah? Thank you for your time and knowledge!
Answer
There is clearly no mitzvah to teach Torah to gentiles. The concept of “light to the nations” (Isaiah 42 and 49) is referring to what Israel should show the world through example and practice how to run a country, modern culture, army, economy etc., in the most moral, just and Godly fashion, as possible, and not through lecturing or teaching. With Love of Israel, Rav Ari Shvat