• Halacha
  • General Questions

Is olive oil spicy?

Rabbi David Sperling

Elul 18, 5772
Question
Hello and thank you for answering my question! I was cooking soup in a dairy pot, which had dairy in it less than 24 hours ago. At the time my question happened, I was cooking potatos in olive oil in the pot. Beside the stove was a parve pan, which I used earlier that day. It wasn’t cleaned yet, but I put water in it to soak. As I was stirring the potatos, one of them flew out of the dairy pot into the parve pan. I read somewhere the olives are considered spicy and I was just wondering if that applies to olive oil as well. If so, would that make my parve pan dairy or does a little piece not count? Also, the pan has been clean and unused for more than 24 hours now, so would that make it parve again? Thank you very much for your time!
Answer
Shalom, Firstly, let me apologize for the delay in answering - there have been some technical problems on the site, and I only now received your question. Olives are in themselves not considered as spicy, unless they have been pickled in something spicy, such as vinegar. Even then it depends on the level of their spiciness. But olive oil is certainly not spicy. This being so your pareve pan remains pareve even if one of the potatoes from the dairy pan fell into it. Blessings.