• Halacha
  • General Questions

Bigdei goyim?

Rabbi Daniel Kirsch

Sivan 15, 5781
Question
Shalom, BH, we are preparing for my cousins engagement, and are looking for dresses to wear to the event. Due to a limited variety of affordable tzniut clothing, we came upon and began looking through websites that sell Muslim clothing. We purchased a dress for one of my elder family members from this website, because it looked like a normal dress, rather than clothing specific for the goyim. However, I believe that based on the pictures of the dress on the website (and the name of the brand), the specific dress we purchased was from a Muslim company and is meant to be worn as a tunic with pants under it (a common way Muslim women dress). But when my relative tried on the dress, it was past her knees, and did not resemble Muslim garb. Is it asur to wear this dress because of the intentions with which it was probably made? If not, would we be allowed to purchase other dresses from these types of websites? Thank you for your time in advance.
Answer
There are no halachic problems in purchasing and wearing this clothing. You may continue buying from these types of websites. (see: Shulchan aruch 178;1, Igrot Moshe, Yoreh Deah 1: 81).