• Torah and Jewish Thought
  • General Questions

What does Jacobs pride mean ?!

Rabbi Ari Shvat

Iyyar 15, 5781
Question
I found a text saying that the Lord swore by Jacobs pride . Amos 8 : נשְׁבַּע יְהוָה בִּגְאוֹן יַעֲקֹב אִם־אֶשְׁכַּח לָנֶצַח כָּל־מַעֲשֵׂיהֶֽם׃ 7- The LORD swears by the Pride of Jacob: “I will never forget any of their doings.” What is meant here by Jacobs pride ?! Does it mean the land of Israel, and does it mean here that the Lord swore by the land of Israel ?! Or does it mean that the Lord swore by the greatness of Jacob ?! what does it mean ?! I found two other texts that contain the phrase (Jacobs Pride) The first text is found in the book of Psalms, and the second text is in the Book of Amos.
Answer
It means "the pride of Jacob/Israel", where you can always easily tell from the context to what it is referring. In Psalms 47 it refers to the mountains of the Land of Israel. In Nachum 2, to the pride of the People of Israel, which God will return. In Amos 6 and 8, it's clearly meant negatively, and refers to the fortresses, in which the leaders (mistakenly) prided themselves, and trusted would protect them.